Bit of a different, more personal post from me today. So far 2012 hasn't been the easiest of years. I won't go into the exact reasons why but I've suffered quite a few heartaches, worries and disappointments in a very short space of time. These left me feeling loads of different emotions - loneliness, regret, sadness, disheartened, and as if happiness would never come. You know that kind of pure, blissful happiness where you still have problems and worries but nothing can bring you down or steal your smile.
Well after my most recent 'horrible event' something changed in me. I was deeply upset about what had happened and regretful of certain decisions I had made but after the year I had had I just wanted to be happy. Don't get me wrong, happiness isn't something you can just turn on and I spent several days after the 'horrible event' moping around my house in my pjs, crying and not giving many people the time of day. BUT, then it hit me, THAT IS SUCH A WASTE OF LIFE!! And no ones deserves you wasting your life! You can be happy and you will be happy!
I have compiled 10 'Be Happy' tips - things that I have concentrated on during the hard times to help me through:
- My favourite quote ever: 'You will never be happy if you do not appreciate the things you already have'. This speaks so much truth - if you cannot appreciate what you have how will you ever be happy with what you have. Stop concentrating on what you think your life is lacking and start focusing on the things that you have and that make me smile - family/friends, reading, blogging, walks in the park, animals, cooking.
- Surround yourself with people that make you feel loved and secure. Don't waste time on those that do not appreciate you.
- Talk it out - a problem shared is a problem halved. If there is something specific that is worrying you or making you feel sad then tell someone! It could be a family member or close friend or if you don't feel comfortable sharing it with them then tell a teacher or a counsellor. I promise you it will make you feel better and they could offer you a solution or advice that you hadn't even considered.
- Fake being happy! Fake it fake it fake it with everything you are until you actually feel it! Trust me, this is so simple but it works. Nothing lasts forever and one day you will feel better but until that day comes, pretend you do. It'll trick your brain into thinking you do actually feel better!
- Don't indulge your misery! If you're heartbroken don't stay in and listen to sad songs or watch romantic films. This goes hand in hand with the previous faking it tip. Concentrating on your unhappiness will just prolong it and make it worse.
- Stay busy. Get down the gym, bake a cake, tidy your room, walk the dog. Anything to keep your body and mind busy and not thinking about your distress.
- Watch a comedy. After all, laughter is the best medicine! (Sorry for the cheesiness!)
- Be selfish and do things for you. Put aside a bit of time every day (or if you can't manage that then every week) to do something just for you. A nice relaxing bubble bath with candles and music, a craft project, a walk in the park, a shopping spree! Just something that makes you smile.
- Remain true to yourself. Never compromise your values or beliefs for someone else. This person will never make you happy if you are not your complete self with them.
- Remember: TIME IS A HEALER. This is the most important one. There are no magic remedies for heartbreak or getting over a hard time but I promise you that one day, probably a whole lot sooner than you think, you WILL feel better, you WILL feel yourself again and you WILL be happy.
I really really hope this post has helped anyone that isn't feeling too great at the moment or is going through a tough time. Like I said, I've had a few pretty crappy times in the last 6 months so if any of you need someone to talk to please don't hesitate to email me (email@example.com) and I will definitely make the time to reply. BE HAPPY PEOPLE! :) xxx
Image from www.weheartit.com